Monday, October 4, 2010

Cooking = Chemistry


All cooking is really science: recipes are the experimental details, pots and pans are the beakers and test tubes, measuring spoons and cups are the volumetric flasks and pipettes, and the stove is the bunsen burner...






So what is actually scientifically happening when we cook and bake? I will attempt to introduce you to some great recipes and to some of the reactions that occur during the process.

Why would you want to know this (I know you probably hated high school chemistry)? Because it can make your food taste better if you know why/how the frying, baking and mixing works!

Please send me feedback and questions you may have!






2 comments:

  1. Love your blog. Thanks for taking time to write these sorts of things up and share them with the world. I'll be pointing my students your way next semester, now that I know this is here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to know the chemistry behing making ice cream? But in english/simpler terms

    ReplyDelete

Comments, corrections, or criticisms...